Prep time: 15 min
TURKEY, PUMPKIN & SILVERBEET SAUSAGE ROLLS
Cooking time: 25-35 min
Serving size: 10-12
Health Benefits of this Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good pastry! These sausage rolls are packed with silverbeet & pumpkin to increase your vegetable intake while providing a good source of protein from the lean turkey mince.
- 1 cup pumpkin (diced)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small brown onion (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 500g turkey mince
- 4 silverbeet leaves (very finely diced)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- 2 sheets of butter puff pastry (defrosted)
- Buckwheat flour for dusting (or other plain flour of choice)
- 1 egg (whisked, for egg wash)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 200℃ fan-forced and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Steam the pumpkin until very soft and easy to mash with a fork. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Heat a good drizzle of EVOO in a pan over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until lightly golden and soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, add in all the ingredients (except for the puff pastry and buckwheat flour) and use your hands to gently combine.
5. Dust your bench with buckwheat flour and roll out the pastry sheets.
6. Spoon half the mixture down the centre (long ways) of each pastry sheet.
7. Brush the egg wash along one edge of the pastry and fold over. Use a fork to gently press down the edges of the pastry so they stick together.
8. Brush the top of each roll with egg wash and top with a sprinkling of fennel and sesame seeds.
9. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll into your desired size.
10. Place rolls on your prepared baking tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Tips & Notes
- We love serving these warm with our home made Tomato Relish (recipe in our book Nourished Postpartum on page 140).
- We recommend selecting a good quality butter puff pastry. We choose wholemeal spelt pastry, which can be purchased from specialty grocers or whole food stores.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze before cooking and store for up to 3 months (cook frozen in the oven for 45-50 minutes on 200℃ fan-forced).