Prep time: 5 min
BABY FRIENDLY LAMB SHANKS
Cooking time: 3 hrs
Serving size: 4-6
Health Benefits of this Recipe
These slow cooked lamb shanks can be cooked in an oven, dutch oven or slow cooker and the recipe is baby friendly! Lamb is high in iron and in this recipe we use low sodium bone broth to support gut health and immunity. If you are still in the puree stage the soft meat can be easily blended with sweet potato.
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 cloves of garlic
800mL of organic chicken bone broth
(we used Cherry tree kitchen brand - or you can make your own!)
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
2. Heat a drizzle of EVOO on a skillet and brown the onion and cook the carrot until softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add another drizzle of EVOO to your pan and braise the lamb shanks. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a deep baking dish or dutch oven add the cooked carrot, onion, lamb shanks and garlic.
5. Pour the bone broth and tinned tomatoes over the top and sprinkle in your spices and gently mix.
6. Place the lid on your dutch oven or cover your baking dish with alfoil and place in the oven to cook for 2.5-3hrs. Check your dish at 2.5hrs. When ready the meat should be soft and easily fall off the bone when using a fork to remove.
Tips & Notes
- We love serving this with sweet potato mash and a side of steamed greens.
- To make a baby friendly puree add 1 steamed sweet potato, the meat from 1 lamb shank and 1 tbsp of EVOO to a blender and blend on high until smooth. We recommend freezing the puree in baby sized batches for up to 3 months.