Prep time: 10 min
HEALTHIER CARROT CAKE
Cooking time: 45 - 50 min
Serving size: 14
Health Benefits of this Recipe
Carrots are a wonderful source of the phytonutrient beta-carotene. In the body beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A, which supports healthy immune function, eye and skin health. Vitamin A also plays a role in healthy iron levels.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (ground)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup walnuts (chopped)
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 carrots (grated)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup Coconut milk (from the carton)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup vanilla coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract or vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃.
2. Soak the chia seeds in ½ cup water until a gel consistency is achieved (approx 30 minutes).
3. Add all the dry ingredients (except the grated carrot) into a medium-large bowl and combine well.
4. Once the mixture is combined, add in the carrots and mix.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (including the chia seeds once they are ready) and mix until well combined.
6. Grease a cake tin with extra coconut oil.
7.Pour in the mixture and bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
Tips & Notes
You’ll know when the cake is ready when you poke it with a skewer and it comes out clean.